Wednesday 14 January 2009

On our way from Sheridan Lake to Interlakes store I spotted two beautiful huge chocolate-coloured magnificent marvellous perfect Moose(s). It was a cow and her teenager.

Bill has requested that when I see such a sight that screeching Moose, Moose, Moose into his ear whilst he drives is probably not the best way to get him to stop safely. I don't believe I screech.

We watched them for about five minutes meandering slowly across the snow covered bog. Mom finally looked us in the eye and we left. And do you think I had my camera? Do you? Well, do you? Crap. Never, ever again will I leave the house without the picture taking machine.

The snow has settled down a little but I do believe that you should never follow a weather report. It is rarely right. Yesterday was supposed to be an accumulation of 1cm....there was at least 3 inches when we went out to shovel. Last week was supposed to be "light snow"....we shovelled close to 5 inches of snow. But, it gets us out, we do it slowly with lots of time for pictures and talk a lot. I use the West Coast shovel so I don't do as much but it is quite the workout.

Last night we were invited out to dinner with friends of my sister. The couple are retiring up here soon but have been at their lakefront home for over 20 years. There was also a neighbour who has moved up here permanently, they also have been here for about the same amount of time. So we heard lots of stories and had a lovely evening. They were great hosts and there was always lively chat. Their home is a yellow cedar log house (the logs are massive and were all hand picked down at the Coast by Jack), 3 floors and beautifully located on the water. I look forward to more evenings with them as it's nice to be in a home with an actual kitchen. Although my words about card playing may not have me back again. I hope I wasn't too rude. I hate cards...ask my sister.

Van-go, our surfer girl van, is not well. We took her in to see the mechanic and listened whilst figures danced in our heads. Van-Go has been rattling in the right rear since around Christmas and after eliminating everything we could we had to see about repairs. Let's just say we need the car therefore you pay the bucks. Poor girl. The roads are soooooo washboard here it's not surprising that the "struts" go. The one strut is "gone" so both rear struts need to be replaced. The mechanic says it's age; I don't think he was happy to deal with a Japanese make; they drive mainly American hogs up here...we think it's a combination of both: age and wear. The mechanic and his wife are from Germany and were very helpful. The only thing that bothered me was they spoke to each other in German; my Grandmother always spoke German to my mother, Uncle or Aunts when she didn't want the kids to know what the gossip was. I was thinking the same was happening here. Now I really do need to take Van-Go to the Coast to see surf this spring.

Shrimp, Garlic, Red Pepper, Udon Noodles
Movie: Day after tomorrow

1 comment:

The Renegade Librarian said...

There are few things I hate as much as vehicle repairs--raisins and getting kicked in the groin are the two that come to mind first.

I hope all goes well with the vehicle and that you won't have to go into mortgaging your lovely property to pay for the repairs.

Also, I have memories of Alan and his brother speaking (very bad) German to one another and it was the damn funniest thing ever to a little boy. It's still just as funny to an almost-30 year old boy!

Hope you're well friend--we still miss you around here very much!