Monday 1 December 2008

December 1! Twenty days until Jen arrives and we celebrate our first Christmas at Deka Lake.

It's been a few days of unusual weather here. Cold and snowy then the last day has been melting weather; now it's cold again and looks like it's here to stay for a few weeks. Brrrr. The minimum over the next two nights is minus, yes minus, 13! Time to plug the car in.

I've done some more mudding and the pantry is coming along. I have no idea if it's correct but after reading far too many versions on how to do it (including the cynical "Hire a professional"), I chose one and am sticking to it. It's not perfect but Bill seems happy with it. My learning curve has taught me that the absolute right equipment is important. You can't go cheap as it will show and you'll be cranky. I would like to go to sleep one night not thinking of it, though.

As the weather has been low so have I. I am affected by severe changes in weather so I'm sure that is part of it, plus suddenly realizing that this is it! At midnight last night it just hit me---left my work, my friends, my daughter, my home---a sudden revelation. I absolutely love it up here but I need to grieve a little bit I think; there was so much happening when we first arrived I didn't quite grasp the importance of what I had just done. The house was overwhelming me too...it will be a long journey. Humans are so curious.

We have a feral cat tip tap toeing around the place at night so I decided some of Digger's treats should be left for the cold pussycat. That will help him warm up. When we were on a walk yesterday, we saw the prints of a Grey Fox (I looked them up); also, the sounds of gunfire were in the air as the locals were practicing at the nearby shooting "range". Not a sound I'm used to but it goes with the territory.

So, how about Cauliflower, Potato and Pea Curry? Then a movie later?

Movie suggestion: The Savages with Laura Linney, Philip Seymour Hoffman. It was wonderful; great writing and acting. It isn't often Bill and I agree on a movie choice but this one worked well.

Pictures of our walk

2 comments:

The Renegade Librarian said...

I am definitely a bit jealous of you as I face yet another Tuesday night. Loving reading about your adventures, friend. We sure miss you around here!

Anonymous said...

Curry recipe please!
Catherine