Saturday 25 April 2009

Dig-Dig-Digger


Digger is a cat. A smoke. Independent, scrappy, ex-street fighter, loved and adored by two Js.

We started to build in the Cariboo May 4 and I stayed in Victoria until November 1. Our home was in a wonderful Co-Op; I stayed there until June 30 and then went to live with a close friend.

On July 1 Bill came down and moved our belongings including one cat up to the Cariboo. Digger was the absolute best cat all the way up to his new home. He was in his cage between Bill and myself. Although I knew Digger was upset I also was glad he wasn't howling all the way.

We got to Deka and Digger was the first I took from the truck; I brought him into his new home and opened his cage. It never, ever occurred to me that he would head out the door. For heaven's sake, why would anyone do that? I thought he would hide under the bed, behind doors, etc.

He headed for the door. Even so, I thought he would just hide in the bush. Digger was never seen again. I was devastated. Although he wasn't a lap cat and used me mercilessly, I loved him to bits and felt very responsible for him.

I spent three weeks at Deka, looking, seeking, checking; we found him one day way up the hill in a tree. He escaped us. All I could do was go home and hope he came back to Bill.

Digger never appeared. We assumed he was picked up by visitors to Deka and had a new home with lots of food and parties.

When I moved up to Deka in November I never gave up looking for him although I knew the longer it took the more it became obvious he was lost to us. One of our close neighbours (about two city blocks away) was taking care of 9 cats. When we asked if he might be taking care of Digger and described him, he said "yes, a brown cat". No, not brown. So, I thought Digger wasn't part of the brood.

Every day, we slowed down by the property....just in case, never to see our Digger. He's very distinctive as he's a Smoke. Not a peep, lots of white, grey, you name it. No smokes.

Today, we passed the property and there he was. Sitting on top of a pile of scrap. I got out of the car, every other cat ran for it, Digger listened and came to me. He even said hello and rubbed against me. I picked him up; he must have gained 5 pounds! G came towards me and so did Bill. Digger went insane and lept from my arms leaving his calling card--a long scracth---on me.

Wow.

G said he came to his cabin in December, frozen and covered with snow. He didn't think he'd survive. Digger has been there ever since. G was gobsmacked that he was our cat. He promised to cage him and bring him over. I wish him luck.

I wait for the return of Digger after 10 months away. I don't know if he'll stay but I know where he will be if he doesn't hang around.

Cats.

Go figure.

No comments: