Tuesday 18 January 2011

Catching up



The last time I blogged was June of last year. Woof. What have I been doing? Let me think....

Right, we're building a home in the Cariboo. Still. Probably always. But that's okay. I'm loving every minute. Okay, every second minute. It's had many challenges this past year and I'm one of them. Snapping your knee~makes you cringe, doesn't it~can put a damper on every aspect of your life and especially if you're also building a house. Pffffffthhthththt. Nothing to it.

Life goes on.

Driving around in the automobile today~~the buffalo came to say hello. Huge wonderful beasties. There were some young ones but as soon as I came near the elders rallied round and had them hidden in the middle of the group. A few ranches in the area raise buffalo and there are two that I know of that also have Longhorn. Maybe that will be the adventure this weekend.

Girls' night~~~a friend that we met through The Mackenzie and who now is part owner of the 100 Mile House bookstore invited me to a girls' night! I tried very hard not to be hysterical when invited but after shrieking Oh my god about six times my hostess was starting to regret the invitation. It was a great night. Although it was exhausting making conversation with 8 new-to-me women in one room. But the group was wonderful. Met the woman who sells eggs and chickens (and soon to be Turkeys!), the woman who bakes the best buns I've tasted in a long time, Trapper Eric's wife, the wives of the two *lumberjacks* that Bill and I know, the owners of the bookstore, the hairdresser and more. Lots of good food, great conversation and much wine.

The night also had another first~me driving. It was a really crisp, clear night and I loved being out on my own driving. It was a longish drive~about 15k. The drive in was fine as most of the roads were snow pack and then they were clear in spots. As there has been thawing the area over the Bridge Creek bridge was all water. So I made a mental note to watch the wet parts on the way home. The way back at 10:30 was amazing. So black, black, black. Thank goodness for the snow. Once I looked in the side mirrors on Mahood Lake road and it threw me off~nothing, absolutely nothing is reflected. It's like driving through mud. Eyes front, the water had become slightly frozen and crunched as I drove through. The ride home was at 40 k all the way.

The medical help here is becoming impossible. My knee was more swollen than I thought it should be so I wanted to see the doctor. Sorry, the office is closed on Fridays. Okay, how about Monday~nope, it's Spring Break and they've taken the time off. Really. Sad isn't it. The clinic was suggested and that's where I went. Took my book and waited about an hour which was good compared to Bill who waited 3 hours one time. Anyways, 'parently I shouldn't be walking about 1/2 a mile every couple of days. And it's the scraping of the arthritis that is causing the swelling~who knew. So back to sitting on my tushie most of the day. So dreary. And taking anti-inflammatory meds for 10 days~~miserable stuff.

Not too many wildlife about. Maybe it's the deep snow that keeps them in the forests. But we have seen Eagles. Beautiful soaring Eagles. One was a teenager with the most chocolate of feathers and then the adults, presuming they are the parents. No moose but there have been glimpses of deer. One day there was a fox playing with his lunch across the road from us. We could see him perfectly in the forest on the snow floor. He had on the fluffiest of red coats and a black tipped tail. A beautiful sight. Although I think his lunch wasn't too happy to be thrown about like that.

Bought my ticket for my trip to see the sister, then Bill will pick me up and we'll go to see J2. Yippee. I hear they have green grass, cherry blossoms, and rain. No matter. It isn't white. And it is always soooo nice to be with them. Also, Denise. And maybe a girls' night in Victoria. But golf for sure for Bill!

I've been putting the cat out for short periods. He doesn't last much longer than 15 minutes but not to worry. Digger really needs to get out. He's getting really flufffy and a tad overweight. And he's clawing all Bill's cedar trim. Not good. It's almost two digit weather so he can just tough it out. He has lots of fur.

The house continues~the trim is now being painted. Shelves were attached to the kitchen walls and puck lights were added. The colours in the house are delicious~~Ancient Copper, Ecru, Wool Tweed, Phantom Mist, Shellflower, Evening Glow....absolutely delicious.

We've also been out and about a little more~~~performance of the grand daughter at the high school~a wonderful evening with J1 and C and one of her daughters; K sang beautifully! Then we went to C's band performance (younger group~~around 10-13) which we really enjoyed, so much great energy~again at the high school. It is just so new to be out trekking in the cold and the snow, then warm in the local school...everyone out for the performance. We are really lucky to be part of J1 and C's families.

Time for bed. Hate this time change~but tonight the sun was still shining at 6:30pm!

No comments: